You may want to access some content, only to realize that it is restricted to a specific country. It sucks, and it kills one’s confidence.
But if you have a VPN for Nvidia Shield, you don’t have to worry because your online privacy will be taken care of, especially when you want to access content that is restricted to specific countries.
Now in this post, we will walk you through how you can install your VPN for Nvidia, how it functions, and what we think would be the best fit for Nvidia Shield VPNs.
What is a VPN and How Does it Relate to Nvidia Shield?
A VPN conceals your data by converting it into a code, then directs the data to a linking server in a location that you will choose.
When you integrate a VPN and Nvidia Shield, you can safely stream video content as well as other media that are restricted to other nations.
You can have access to American Netflix by using VPN for Nvidia. For example, if you use Kodi, then rest assured that all the VPN listed below work exceptionally well with every Kodi addon you can think of.
As we stated in the beginning, we have a list of the best VPNs for Nvidia using the following criteria:
- Suitable for Nvidia Shield/Android TV
- Speeds are fast and efficient for HD streaming
- Suitable to unblock geo-streaming such as Netflix
- Strong encryption
- No connection logs
- Money-back guarantee
Because Nvidia Shield works best with Android TV, we will primarily focus on VPNs that are compatible with Android TV applications on Google Play.
Best VPNs for Nvidia Shield in 2019
ExpressVPN is suitable to use with an Android TV app, which you can download from Google Play Store, but if that doesn’t work well with you, then you can as well opt to download the APK installer from Express VPN URL.
ExpressVPN is known for its fast speeds as well as strong security. With ExpressVPN, you can stream video content that is restricted, such as Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and Hulu. Live support is available to customers like you who need some assistance or guidance.
You can connect up to three devices simultaneously on ExpressVPN. So besides your Shield, you can take advantage of apps that are available on iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and specific Wi-Fi routers.
Pros for Using ExpressVPN
- You can find Android TV apps on Google Play
- Fast servers
- Robust security
- You can unblock geo-blocked video content streaming sites such as Netflix
- It has its servers in up to ninety-four countries
- 24/7 live customer support in case you need help with anything
Cons of Using ExpressVPN
- Expensive as compared to other VPN service providers
Like ExpressVPN, NordVPN is also suitable to use with an Android TV app that you can get from Google Play Store. And if that doesn’t work for you, there is an option to download the Android APK from NordVPN official website. Also, NordVPN is available on the Amazon App Store.
NordVPN has more than 5,700 servers in up to 60 countries, and it’s a great option if you want to unblock geographically restricted video content from sites such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or Hulu/.
With NordVPN, rest assured you will encounter fast internet speeds that are great when you are streaming HD video content. Also, your connection will be private, which means that nobody will ‘trace’ what you are doing. The best of all is that NordVPN has no logs policy, which means your data is safe while you are connected.
You have the freedom to connect up to 6 devices simultaneously if you opt for a standard subscription. If you want NordVPN, it is available on Amazon Fire TV, Windows, Android, Linux, iOS, and MacOS.
Pros of Using NordVPN
- You can find the Android TV app on Google Play
- Fast connections
- Robust security with zero logs
- You can block a ton of geo-restricted sites such as Netflix
- You can connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Affordable rates as compared to other VPN service providers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Cons of Using NordVPN
- Automatic server selection isn’t great as expected
CybeGhost has an app for Android TV, in which you can quickly gain access to geo-restricted video content streaming sites such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and iPlayer.
It is your choice – you can choose your server location or decide to select the streaming service you want to prevent from ‘spying’ on you as you do your ‘stuff’. In simple terms, you don’t have to put yourself in a trial and error situation – trying to reach out to the customer support or lurking on the internet for hours trying to find which servers work best with a specific service.
If your preference is security and speed, then CyberGhost should be your preference. It’s our fastest VPN service in 2019 from the tests we have carried out. Additionally, the company does not store your activity or connection logs.
Apart from Android TV apps, you can also get access to apps on iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Windows, Android, and MacOS. Lastly, you can connect up to 7 devices simultaneously.
Pros of Using CyberGhost
- You can find its Android TV app on Google Play
- You can unblock popular geo-restricted video content sites such as Netflix
- Fastest VPN
- Solid security
- Possible to connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- 45-day money-back guarantee
Cons of Using CyberGhost
- Not best to use when in China
The Android TV app for PrivateVPN is similar to its phone application, though it is suitable for both large and small screens. In case you find trouble downloading the app from Google Play Store, you can get its APK from PrivateVPN’s official website.
PrivateVPN could be the least popular VPN service provider in this list, but it still manages to offer excellent speeds, which is everyone’s top preference when selecting a VPN service.
It’s a great option if you are serious about unblocking geo-restricted content from popular websites such as Netflix, so no worries if this was the solution you were looking for.
The main reason why you probably need VPN is that you want some privacy, and that’s what PrivateVPN offers – private connections with no activity logs.
You can connect up to 6 devices simultaneously if you choose to go with the standard subscription. Lastly, the apps are available on Amazon Fire TV, Windows, Android, iOS, and MacOS.
Pros for Using PrivateVPN
- Android app suitable for Nvidia Shield
- High-speed servers
- Suitable for unblocking geo-restricted popular video content sites such as Netflix
- Your privacy is guaranteed because the company keeps no logs
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Its app has a wide range of features
Cons of Using PrivateVPN
- Smaller server network
- You have a 24/7 customer live chat support system in case you have any issues
You can get IPVanish’s Android app on the Google Play Store. If not, then download the APK file, which you can get on the IPVanish official website.
IPVanish offers robust security, and they don’t keep logs for your activities when connected to their servers. It has large server networks, operating in more than fifty-four countries.
They offer fast speeds and rest assured that their connections are stable. It’s simple to use, but it also has a customization feature if you need to do a little tweaking here and there.
IPVanish may not match its competitors when it comes to unblocking popular sites, but it’s highly preferred among the Kodi users. That means that it’s suitable for all Kodi addons, so no worries.
The best of all is that you can connect up to ten devices simultaneously (this is more than any other VPN service provider in this list). Their apps are available on Android, Windows, Amazon Fire TV, iOS, and MacOS.
Pros for Using IPVanish
- You can find their Android TV app on Google Play Store
- Strong security
- High-speed servers
- Excellent for Kodi
Cons for Using IPVanish
- Does not work effectively on unblocking popular streaming sites
- It’s just based in the United States
- Only has a 7-day money-back guarantee
How to set up a VPN on Nvidia Shield?
Nvidia Shield works best with Android TV, which is a TV-compatible version of the Android OS that is common on most smartphones today.
Android TV has a specific section of Google Play Store, which means you will not have a variety of apps to select from as you would on the phone.
The VPN service providers we have listed here have apps that are specifically designed to suit Android TV, and you can use it on Nvidia Shield.
Others have the option to download the APK installer directly from the VPN’s official website. Don’t worry because we will show you how to go about it.
If the VPN app you want is available on Google Play Store, here’s how you can download and install the app:
- Open your Google Play Store application on your Shield from your home screen or your Apps section.
- Search the name of the VPN you want to install. It should come up the search results if you entered the name correctly.
- Choose the VPN you want from the search results. You don’t want to download the wrong application, especially if you come across VPN apps with the same names. So make sure you select the right one.
- Select Install.
- Set your permissions to “accept” and complete your installation.
Once you have gone through the process, next, you need to open the VPN app you just downloaded and sign in/ sign up. Select the location you prefer and then connect.
In some cases, the VPN app you are looking for might not be on the Google Play Store. If that is the case, get a flash drive and follow these steps:
- On your personal computer, start your preferred web browser and search your VPN provider’s website.
- Download the Android APK file for your VPN service provider and select a USB flash drive as your preferred storage location. In any case, you cannot find the download page, be sure to inquire with the support system to direct you.
- Once the download is complete, eject your USB flash drive safely
- On your shield, proceed to Settings, then Security and Restrictions
- Next, you’d want to toggle on Unknown sources. Confirm with “Ok” when a warning pops up.
- From your primary screen (home screen), start Google Play Store or whatever app you prefer.
- Search ES File Explorer or FX File Explorer. It doesn’t matter which one you find because either of them will work.
- On the install page or download page, install the app, and accept the permissions.
- The next thing you should do is to insert the USB flash drive into your shield.
- Start or open the explorer file you downloaded and go to the USB drive.
- Open the VPN APK you downloaded from the VPN service provider’s official website.
- Once your installation is complete, open it.
And boom! You can now use the Android VPN application on your Shield. It is crucial, though, to understand that this app’s version is especially suited for the phones and not TVs. That means that using the interface may not be intuitional, but you can still log in and connect to the server.
Is it Possible to use a free VPN with Nvidia Shield?
When searching on the internet, you may come across a few free VPN apps. They will never be effective as the ones we have listed above, so please avoid them.
The bad thing about free VPNs is that they are crowded as most people want to use them, so they are very slow, which can slow you down when streaming video content.
Worst of all is that free VPNs make money from you by collecting your data and selling it to a third party, such as advertisers, which limits your privacy. Some of these free VPN apps even carry malware.
The bottom line is that you should strive to stick to a paid VPN no matter what because, rest assured, you will have faster speeds, privacy, and excellent customer support whenever you have issues.